Friday, March 13, 2009

With strange aeons, even death may die



I'm in the middle of a very dangerous Cthulhu Mythos binge. My precarious situation is, perhaps, comparable to Hunter S. Thompson's while driving down Barslow with a trunk full of every drug imaginable, including ether. And like the good doctor told us, "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the dephts of an ether binge."
This reawakening began after my college graduation this past december. Job searching in this post-apocalyptic economy feels down right nihilistic. I figured it was the perfect time to get re-acquainted with the works of Mr. Lovecraft. 
I got in contact with fellow Cthulhu gamers in Atlanta, where I relocated to facilitate my job search. They are playing a re-envisioned Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign using the Trail of Cthulhu system by Pelgrane Press. I met up with the keeper ( shout out, Yunus!) created private eye Gerry Cohen and started playing a one-player prelude. This prelude was the first step in a road of gaming madness. The Masks campaing has served as a catalyst to get me out of a gaming inertia I've been for the past year and a half. I'm an active participant of the roleplaying game hobby again!
I bought the Trail of Cthulhu rulebook for use in the Masks campaign. I figure it's always good to have a couple of rulebooks in the table for easy reference. That should be coming in the mail at any moment now.
Participating in a campaign with a different group of players awakened my curiosity about the way other's percive and play Call of Cthulhu. Published scenarios were considered heretical by my previous gaming group. We always figured that they were "cheap;" a last resort for an unimaginative gamemaster. My outlook on published stuff totally changed after reading a Death in Luxor review. The details mentioned by the reviewer, the evocative cover art, and the 7 buck price tag got me interested enough to give it a chance. Long story short: Death in Luxor is a marvelous adventure. It shreds in light on the "classic" Call of Cthulhu gaming era of the 1920s. I got The Doom Below and Murder of Crows, both my Super Genius Games, shortly there after. While neither breaks new gaming ground, they are both very enjoyable and fun little explorations of the Cthulhu Mythos.
These indy products lead me back to Chaosium's classic campaigns: I ordered Tatters of the King and the mythical Beyond the Mountains of Madness. They were "cheap" enough to were I'm still able to get Shadows of Yog-Sothoth and Spawn of Azathoth. Then my inner geek will be very, very happy. 

Hey, I don't drink in excess, smoke or use drugs. Collecting RPG books isn't that bad of an addiction.  

Gerry's first journal entry is in the works. I'm taking extra time because I want to make it interesting for all of you guys out there. Gerry has come across a lot of horrible information during his first encounter with the mythos. It's going to be a pretty long journal entry. 
Hopefully, I'll be able to report how Death in Luxor works with the Gumshoe (Trail of Cthulhu) system. 

There a lot going on as far as RPGs are concerned, I'll do my best to keep you guys in the loop. 

-Tony

P.S.
On a side note, I have now come to fear & dread the circumstances of this purchase. The very day I decided that I was going to look into buying a publish Cthulhu campaign, Chaosium announced that they were going to cut book prices 30 % and that shipping for certain orders was going to be free. I saw it as a sign that it was the perfect time to get the books because they were going to be affordable for a very short time. Now I imagine dark, unfathomable horrors conspiring against my mental stability. Biding their time, letting me soak in the horrors of the universe, piece by piece, as I read various horror campaigns... 

No comments:

Post a Comment