Saturday, April 11, 2009

Gamer Girlfriend?


My Girlfriend hates gaming and everything related to it. She's only played once. It was a Dark Heresy one-shot I ran a while back. She played a Psyker named Novia. (That's spanish for girlfriend) It was a straight forward action adventure where the players followed the trail of a cult that fronted as a worker's union. It was a fast paced investigation that concluded in a deadly shootout.
The other two players, experienced rpgers, liked it a lot; Katie, on the other hand, detested it.
Every once in a while I wonder what it would be like to be in a relationship with another gamer. Always having a player available for your upcoming campaign; to avoid yawns and eye rolling as reponses to your endless discussions about geeky stuff; reading the same books; watching the same movies. Essentially, spending time with a female version of you. 
Would I like a gamer girlfriend? 
NO.
Katie balances me out. Being the undisciplined mess that I man, I need her to be there to tell me to get off my ass and put that stupid book away. I need her to tell me that she (and 99 percent of the world's population) doesn't care that 4th Edition D&D sucks balls in comparison to 3rd edition. 
She reminds me that gaming is a hobby and not a way of life. Thank you baby! 

P.S. Btw, she gets scared really easy; I'm sure that playing Call of Cthulhu with her would have been an unforgettable experience. Can't win then all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment